I'm falling asleep at the computer - well, I feel a bit like it! Clement is having his midnight top up! He always likes a feed before I go to sleep for the night. But I'm feeling rather exhausted just now - probably due to always staying up too late! And added to that, last week & this week were a bit more hectic with Peter being out most of the 2 weeks for jury duty at the High Court. So I had all the normal things to do, as well as trying to get book orders out and posted on the normal days, etc. But he's finished the jury duty today, so we're hopefully back to normal, in that regard.

Brothers having a cuddle!

Lying in the kitchen floor, all dressed for bed it seems!

Yummy fingers

My 3 precious children, with Clement trying to look like he's as big as the others!

Big sister and littlest brother

Clement's legs are actually strong enough to stand up at something, though at 4.5 months he can't actually do it - but he does have the strength in his legs to stand and support his weight for quite a long time!

In the high chair with a cup of water. Clement has decided he wants food early. And I guess the idea of "baby led weaning" means the baby gets to decide?! LOL In any case, he's made it very clear that he's ready for it and able to eat too! The first time I finally gave in to let him taste something (a cooked carrot stick) he bit a piece off, chewed it up (like a pro!) and promptly swallowed it! :-O I was shocked! I was sure that babies had to learn to swallow things, and their gag reflex (I think that's what it's called) has to be lost, meaning they start by spitting the food out again, before learning to swallow. But he chewed & swallowed the *first* time, at only 4 months! I was always of the mind to delay giving solids as long as possible, and since Clement is nearly 19lbs (several pounds heavier than lots of 1 year olds!!), and almost on the 98th centile for his weight, it's clear he's getting plenty to eat. But I guess he had different ideas, and is a natural male ... likes his food! LOL So we're exploring all sorts of fruits & veggies, which is fun. And he likes everything he's given - so far!

Chewing his toys - everything goes in mouth

My latest pushchair [blush] ! I've always wanted to try a Phil & Teds - and at long last, I've got one! And I think it's fantastic - it is so easy to push, and soooo compact. So I've been having a mega clearout and trying to downsize my pushchair collection (I think I had 5 singles and 3 doubles). So far only 1 single has left the house, meaning there are 4 doubles currently here! But most of them are on the way out the door - either ending soon on ebay, or to be picked up by people, etc. I'll really miss the big shoping basket on my Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem, as the P&T has a very small basket compared to the other, but I think I'll be happy with the switch. And glad to have less clutter when we move house!

Isn't he cute?!

2 boys with tongues! Doesn't Benjamin look grown up here? I don't think he looks like just a 2.5yo!

Teething on a raw carrot!

Benjamin and his lovely soft "Very Hungry Caterpillar", which we won in a lovely giveaway from
Leah (not my sister, on this occasion!). It arrived in the post this morning, on just the perfect day to cheer Benjamin up! :-) He's feeling quite poorly just now - I think he's got Croup! :-( He's got awful barking cough, slight fever, and bad sounds with his breathing - meaning he's getting rather breathless at times, which can be a bit scary. But I'm just trying to keep him calm and not let him get upset about things, and that helps him to not get out of breath. Hopefully he'll get over it soon and be OK. Though I worry about him at times, as he seems to be always catching something or poorly in one way or another. Thankfully we've been keeping the eczema fairly under control lately. I think the manuka honey cream is helping in that regard. Last week I had forgotten to order another tub in time, so we ran out over the weekend and he had a bit of a flareup, with it coming back worse. But it's calmed down since we got the cream again. So just have to make sure I don't forget again and let us run out of it! Obviously his skin isn't perfect, but it doesn't seem so out of control as before.

Clement's first time on Mummy's back, today. But I think I tied the straps wrong (so don't anyone follow the photo! lol), since I usually wear him on the front. But I think I'll be having him on my back a lot more now that he's bigger!

A happy little boy - and mummy's hands are free to cook dinner!

and 20 minutes later, a peacefully sleeping baby! :-) Amazing!
Ok, off to bed at last. If I don't post anything for a while, I might have accidentally packed myself away in a moving box! ;-) We're closing on the house a week earlier, so should start moving before the end of the month!!
9 comments:
Rebecca really never liked the "baby" food stuff. I pureed or just mashed things up for her, and she preferred the "real" thing. She still does... though apparently I killed the whole "eat solid foods" thing yesterday by giving her cantaloupe, which she got a rash from, and she's just wanted applesauce, bananas (whole), or mummy's milk ever since. *sigh* Eventually she'll get back to it, right?!
As for the way to tie him on your back... you're right, you didn't quite do it right, lol. :-) You need to cross the straps under his bottom and around to the front again (go between his legs and your body to go under him). It seems like there'd be nothing to hold him in, but that's the way to do it. This site: http://mangobaby.com/ has many, MANY instructions for using a Mai Tei sling. :-)
Thanks for the link, Melissa! :) Will have a look to remind me how to do it! I know I've worn Benjamin on my back several times before, but it's been a long time, so I'd forgotten! And only when I saw the pictures that I realised something was wrong! lol
Well, there's nothing wrong with the way you tied him if it works, just that method doesn't give quite as much support so a heavy baby might eventually start to slip.
Noah has had croup twice, and the second time had to be hospitalized for two nights. :( But I did learn that cool/humid air helps quite a bit, so you could take him outside if it's cool/cold there, or sit in front of the open freezer/refrigerator if outdoors isn't cold enough. Helps him get over those worst moments.
CONGRATS ON WINNING:)
we always steam the room when they have croup. it always helps.Our problem at the moment is Angela's teething. she is cutting 5 at once. aaagh.
Benjamin looks so grown up! More like a five-yr-old or something.
I miss y'all a lot. Tell the kids howdy for me. :P
Nice to hear from you, Sam! :) I'll tell the kids you say hello - they still remember you too! :D You'll have to come back to Scotland again sometime!
Hope your move is going smoothly (or the packing is)! Yikes, a phil&teds!!? I've always looked at them with awe...lol, well they looked neat and compact...never tried one though, do you find it as brilliant as the price? :D
xx
Evelyn: Yes, the Phil & Teds really is that great! :-D I like it so much, I've just bought a 2nd one! [blush] In my defense though, I sold 6 pushchairs (well, sold 5 and freecycled 1) - I didn't know I had so many pounds worth of pushchairs under the stairs until I started selling them! ;-) LOL So the cupboard under the stairs looks so much more neat & tidy with less pushchairs - esp as the P&Ts take up very little space when folded! In fact, I can have both of them together in the boot of the car, and they only take up as much space as 1 double of other brands!
So yes, I say they're well worth it! And if you hunt long enough, it's possible to get a secondhand one for a lot less than a new one. There are places on the internet with new ones (with the doubles seat) for about 300 pounds. But I managed to get one of mine for 150 including postage. Occasionally ebay has bargains (esp if the person happens to be local to you and doesn't want to post it) but beware of ebay, because sometimes they go for LOTS of money! I saw one in a lot worse condition to mine, (but it had accessories!) and it went for 300 pounds - an old used one!
They push soooo easily, and can turn round with such ease, in very small spaces. The main downside I would say is the small shopping basket (because the child in back seat has their feet in it too), but you can get pannier bags to hang on the sides, which hold a lot! Great for town and off-road adventures - and really as compact as a single pushchair.
So yeah, I'm sold on them! Obviously not tried it for a newborn, as that means the toddler seat is "on top" of the lying flat seat for baby, so can't comment on that. Clement is big enough to sit in the back seat and quite likes it there.
Btw, there are a few different models too. The Sport one is newer (with a reclining back seat) and they go for a bit more money too. The 2 I've got are both E3 ones, which means they're an older model, but I'm quite happy with them.
Post a Comment