Saturday, 1 March 2008

1st haircut & other photos from past week

Here I am again - it's been rather a while since I last posted, apart from the video I put up the other night of Benjamin walking. Sorry I post rather infrequently, and as a result put up a weekly-ish post with sooooo many photos! Perhaps rather boring for some readers, but hopefully appreciated by family who are far away & don't get to see the children growing up. So, for your sakes, I try to keep plenty of photos - nothing overly exciting, just our (or their!) daily life.

Last Saturday I gave Benjamin his first haircut! :) I was a bit nervous about taking scissors to his hair, but it was getting rather long & messy looking, so I thought I'd just better give it a go! I've given *numerous* haircuts to my brothers over the years, but only ever with clippers. So it was a new experience to cut hair with scissors, but I think it turned out OK. Not perfect, but better than it was, I hope! He was asleep for his afternoon nap (in my lap) when I cut it. Made it a bit difficult to cut round the back since he was lying down, but I thought it would be near impossible to do it while he was awake! Here's a before & after pic:

Just before his hair was cut, and then after he woke up

Abigail needing her hair brushed! lol

A happy little boy wanting to clap his hands!


Abigail & Benjamin playing together (well, maybe he was eating his sister's leftover yoghurt, or by this stage, chewing the pot & spoon! He likes to eat anything she leaves behind.)


Awwww - Abigail giving her brother a cuddle :)


Benjamin eating his first ice cream cone! He really enjoyed it (I think it helped his sore gums) and he actually ate it properly (whereas the first thing Abigail has always done with an ice cream is turn it upside down and bite the bottom of the cone! Which always results in a mess. lol)

We went out for a quick (well, 1 hour or so) walk on Wednesday afternoon. It started to rain as we went up the hill behind our house but thankfully it didn't last for long and we didn't get too wet. The above photo was as we were coming down again, looking out towards The Black Isle.


Benjamin fell asleep while we were out, nice & cosy and under the raincover on his pushchair (so he stayed dry & out of the wind). I slipped the camera under the raincover to snap this pic. :)


A smiling Abigail - taken on Thursday evening when I was trying to get pics/video of Benjamin walking. She wanted to have her photo taken too and gave me this lovely smile.


I love this pic here! Such a cute & sweet expression. I can't remember if he was thinking about clapping his hands or just excited. He was playing with a pile of (clean) cloth nappies, which he finds lots of fun!


And here he loves his nappies so much he wants to eat them! lol

Well, all is quiet just now! Abigail and Benjamin both went to sleep as soon as possible this evening! I think they were both exhausted for some reason. This week Abigail's been waking up a bit earlier than previously - she's up at about 7am each morning, whereas she used to wake up closer to 9. We had dinner at about 5:30 this evening. I made a variation of Vegetable Risotto. Basically Italian rice with eggplant (aubergine), onions, red pepper, shallots, garlic, and plum tomatoes cooked in olive oil first and then simmered in vegetable stock and I mixed in some diced free-range turkey breasts which I had also cooked in olive oil. I thought it turned out quite nicely and the children nearly cleaned their plates, so that's always a bonus! I think they like pasta or rice dishes that are a one-pot dish. They both enjoyed a Chili Con Carne that I made on Wednesday.

So, I better head for my bed now. Benjamin will need his "nighttime nappy" on (a Minki fleece pocket nappy, stuffed with a bamboo prefold, for anyone who is interested in cloth nappies! lol) and once he's been disturbed to have his nappy changed he'll want a quick feed. And then hopefully I can fall asleep. So goodnight. :)


3 comments:

The Mom said...

well done coping with the baby haircut. Julian has always done our 8 boys' hair with scissors, tho more recently Constance is learning to take over and cuts J's hair for him too.

It saves a small fortune in hairdressers' fees - is used to cost J £40+ to get his hair cut in London, and the boys would be around £10 each locally.

Eeek! Essentially training for any young woman who might one day be a wife: learn to cut hair! It is good you had your brothers to practice on :-)

Melissa said...

I really like dishes that are all in one pot! It saves mess (most times at least) and I like how the flavours all absorb into one another!

Benjamin's hair cut looks quite good! I haven't yet had to cut a little boy's hair, but I'm having to cut Justin's hair sometime soon! He's starting to look shaggy! I'm trying to make my life easier, getting all the hair to grow to about the length of a (short-ish) bowl cut so I just have to snip around the edges every couple of months instead of trimming it right down to half an inch every month, but his hair seems to like only growing on one side of his head. So, right now he's all lopsided, because one side has grown about an inch in the past couple of months, and the other side MIGHT have grown half an inch, if that... This could take a long time to get the right cut going! :-)

lcrmum said...

Yese cutting little boys hair can be challenging! Especially when they are moving so much. I typically use the clippers then just trim the edges with the scissors. I cut Ts hair on Sat (going to post later about it) and deary me did he scream. lol. K had to help and he was so upset. I think the clippers scared him. By this age with the two older boys had already had lots of haircuts but being in a colder climate I have not cut his but once right after his birthday. :) Ack well he will get used to it.

Benjamin looks so much older now! He is so cute. Love seeing the photos of both children.

hugs