I figured it was time for another update here now that summer is drawing to an end. Well, still some weeks yet of the *season* of summer, but we're back to homeschooling next week - so end of summer holidays! Not to mention the weather turning more autumnal now too! We've been blessed with a very good summer this year and have enjoyed so much sunshine and warmth over the past few months. Nothing like Texas heat, of course - but for the Scottish Highlands, it's been great! One of the best summers for a while. So despite the fact that we've been at home all summer, I think the kids have had a lot of fun. Many hours spent outdoors nearly every day, riding bikes, eating ice creams, and just generally relaxing and enjoying the summer! So I think we're all ready now for a new school year to start and back into the routine of "normal life". :-)
We did make a point of having a "proper" day out last week (before the summer was gone) and took the kids to Huntly Castle. I think young children enjoy a slightly ruined castle more than a palace where you can't touch anything. It gives them a chance to explore a bit. So here are some photos from our adventures last week.
 |
| The biggest 4 in Huntly Castle |
 |
| Having fun outside the castle - Elijah wanted to jump off the tree stump, of course! |
 |
| Huntly Castle - this
version of the castle is only from 1550 or so. The cellars inside are from the 1460 castle. And the hill next to it had a castle
first there in 1180, but nothing remains of that castle but the hill
(motte). |
 |
| Medieval road |
 |
| Exploring :-) |
 |
| Elijah "reading" one of the notices! ;-) He's *always* looking out for "E for Elijah" - rather obsessed with that letter of the alphabet! |
 |
| Dungeon! |
 |
| Fire place that's over 400 years old |
 |
| Notice about the fire place in photo above |
 |
| Beautiful views |
 |
| Elijah was complaining that he was too short to see out the window .... |
 |
| So helpful big brother Benjamin to the rescue - lifting him up to see out! :-) |
 |
| Small boy and very big trees! |
 |
| After being at Huntly Castle we took a drive towards the coast, and stopped off at Duff House. We only looked at the outside though. |
 |
| Then back to Elgin for dinner at McDonald's - special request of Benjamin! ;-) |
 |
| Elijah said it was very yummy! ;-) |
 |
| Back to normal days, Deborah learned to ride a bike without stabilisers (training wheels) this summer! She got this bike and within about 30 minutes, she was riding all over on her own! Her older siblings were most impressed, as they were more like 5 before they did this! And she's still only 3 - not 4 until October. |
 |
| Deborah is very pleased with her new ability and has spent many hours outside on her bike! |
 |
| This wee guy still likes to hang out with his mama a lot... |
 |
| and being in the kitchen means getting to have yummy things to eat - like raw orange peppers! [yum] Notice the homemade chocolate chip cookie that has been left behind - peppers are much better! |
 |
| These two play together a LOT - it's so fun to see all the adventures they have together! This was a hospital Deborah made outside the front door of the house. :-P He looks very ill indeed, doesn't he?! ;-) |
 |
| Abigail was giving sewing lessons to Clement here. Well, at least showing him how the sewing machine works. |
 |
| Yep, best friends they are! Found them tucked into Deborah's bed pretending to be asleep. Notice the doll in the middle - looks like they do "co-sleeping"! ;-) |
 |
| And with school starting back next week, I've been busy printing and getting everything organised for lessons! :-) Clement turned 5 in April, so that means he's officially school age this year and I'll now have 3 "full time" students to be teaching. It means I'll be even more busy with a bigger age gap between my "students". Abigail & Benjamin are only a year apart as far as schooling goes (only 16 months different age wise anyway), but Clement is 2 years younger, so trying to make sure Clement will have plenty that is fun and age appropriate to him. But I think I'll have it rather easy with him already knowing how to read - he learned about a year ago, when he was only 4 - so that makes things so much easier when they start school already being a very able reader! :-) The A-Z lapbook pages in the photo above is for Deborah to do. She'll be school age next year, so figured it was a good time to start her on some of the basics - especially as she's always begging for her own school work to do. | | |
|
|
I guess that's all for now! I'm feeling relieved to have reached the end of the busiest part of our season at the holiday house in Edderton! I've made it through the summer of nonstop/back to back bookings! I'm very thankful for health and strength and no illness in the family all summer, so everything went smoothly! The house is occupied at the moment, and then only 2 more bookings left to do before the end of September. And each of those have a week of it empty between them, so at least means I won't have a changeover on the same day - as in, cleaning it up from one lot of guests and getting it ready for the next all in the space of a very few hours! So that will make it a lot easier as I get closer to baby being due! So I feel a big sense of relief and that the end is in sight. It's been wonderful to have a busy summer there, but I'm also looking forward to the end of the summer season and then getting ready for baby to arrive in October, God willing! Not *too* many weeks yet!
19 comments:
Hi Rachel I really enjoy reading ur blog. Hope ALL goes well when the newest member to ur family aka ur latest baby eventually arrives in October DV. ALL ur friends in Glasgow are thinking of u as the date of ur latest arrival draws near.
Thank you for the kind comment and good wishes. I hope you are all keeping well in Glasgow. :)
Hi Rachel Any word of Rev Caleb Hembd, his wife Leah and family heading out to New Zealand to give that Presbytery a hand? PS hope ur latest wait for a new arrival will SOON be over. From all ur friends in Kelvindale Glasgow.
I don't know of any news of Caleb just now, but I think he is going to New Zealand & Australia at some point this month - for about 6 weeks. I think Leah and children will stay in Texas, as it would be a lot of travelling for lots of little ones!
Hope you are all well there in Glasgow.
Hi Rachel yes we are well, although my mother is suffering from a sore leg. The dr thinks it might be Sciatica!!!!.
I'm sorry to hear your mother isn't feeling well. Please give her my regards and praying she is feeling better soon.
Hi Rachel I will do. When next speaking to Caleb, Leah & Family, can I ask you to pass on the best wishes of ALL the friends they know in Glasgow. We Hope it WONT be too LONG before Caleb gets a call from a congregation to be their Minister DV.
Yes, I will do - thanks! :)
(1) Hi Rachel how long to go now till your newest family member arrives into this world? (2) How is Rev Caleb Hembd getting on in New Zealand? I tried putting that question on to Texan Rose's Blog page aka Caleb's sister Sharon's Blog but it is NOT taking comments at present!
Hello, Hopefully the baby will be here sometime in the next 2-3 weeks! Not much longer to go now! :) I think Caleb is getting on fine in New Zealand. I believe he arrived there last week, so has quite a few weeks left of his stay there. Hope you are all well.
Hi Rachel Yes we are ALL well hear in Glasgow. Glad to say my mother is also getting better too re her sciatica although it is a slow process you cannot rush these things. At least Caleb should have decent weather when in New Zealand just now. We also heard a rumour recently that he, Leah and family were possibly coming over to the FP Manse in Uig Lewis for a couple of Months! I remember the 1st time you, Leah, Joseph and one of his brothers came to Glasgow the day you all left to head north to visit David Campbell (now minister in Edinburgh) it was SNOWING HEAVILY in Glasgow. My abiding memory was Leah running out into the snow with a jumper on and NO Jacket as I don't think it ever snows in Santa Fe Texas. I wonder if she remembers the visit concerned?! Hope all goes well when the new arrival FINALLY arrives DV. From all your Friends in Kelvindale Glasgow PS Pass on my regards to your Folks in Santa Fe when next speaking to them. David
Hope all goes well when your newest member to your decides to make an appearance into this world Rachel. We are thinking of you all bearing in mind how small the FP congregation is in Tain at present
You don't say who you are, ;-) but thank you for your comment and good wishes for the upcoming birth.
There hasn't been a congregation of the FPs in Tain for a very long time, though there *is* one in nearby Dornoch/Bonar Bridge. However, we have been blessed to be a part of the Tain/Hilton congregation of the APC for the past 5 years now. :-)
Hi Rachel cast your memory back to the very first time when you, your sister Leah your cousin Joseph and one of Joseph's Brother's stayed for a weekend in Kelvindale. If I remember correctly the 4 of you stayed with my mother brothers and I in Kelvindale! maybe you and Leah stayed with the Freekes IN Daleview Avenue Kelvindale. My most abiding memory of your visit was that the day you all left to head north to see Mr David Campbell/Now Rev David Campbell FP Minister in Edinburgh it was SNOWING HEAVILY and Leah DIVED head Long into the deep snow in my mother Peggy Dunbar's front garden. The Last time I saw you was at my Cousin Alice MacKintosh's wedding when she married Hugh Hutton. David
Yes, David, I know exactly who you are! :-) I have many fond memories of staying with your dear mother there in Glasgow and meeting you and your brother and I remember seeing you all again at Alice & Hugh's wedding. My comment last night was regarding a comment left on here yesterday afternoon - I wasn't sure who that one was from. But I do know who you are! :-)
No, not the least bit of offense or anything from your comments. :) Yes, it's very wild and windy here today - reminds me of Lewis! Hope you're all well in Glasgow.
We go from windy wet stormy weather yesterday, to cold foggy weather today here in Glasgow. Hope your children are learning how nice the weather is here in ALL SEASONS. Also hope you are taking it easy Rachel with your newest arrival due V SOON. David
Good Morning Rachel. Hope your kids are enjoying their holidays after all their "home schooling" throughout the year. Any word of your latest arrival yet? D in Glasgow
No baby arrival yet! But I will do a blog post when baby is here! :)
Post a Comment