This post will be unusual in that there are *only* 5 photos! Guess I haven't been using my camera very much lately.
Here's Benjamin with a couple of small cars (which actually, happen to be Peter's from when he was a child!!). Anyway, cars (and buses) are Benjamin's passion at the moment (not to mention chocolate & cheese - hmm - cars, choc, & cheese all start with C!). Anyway, he shouts "cars, cars" whenever he sees some and he just has to hold a couple all day long (even when he's having a feed to go to sleep)! In a similar way that some children would cuddle a favourite teddy, it's metal cars for Benjamin! :) He's learning colours from the cars too. He can correctly identify which car is red, blue, orange and white. But orange is his favourite. The other night he was about to go up the stairs to bed and he started shouting out "orange! orange!" and ran back to get a orange car! It's really fun to watch him learn so many new things each day - and at the same time it makes me realise that he really isn't a baby anymore. Where does the time go? He's already 19 months old.
Speaking of growing up, I think Abigail looks very grown up in this photo! :) She'll be 3 years old in less than a month - wow!
Thanks to Abigail, she's just about potty trained!! Yay - no worries that I'll be washing nappies for 3 children come April! LOL Anyway, about 2 weeks ago Abigail woke up one morning and insisted that she wanted to wear big girl pants. I wasn't feeling very energetic that morning (perhaps it wasn't much past 6am!) and I told her no, she needed to wear a nappy, else we'd end up with lots of puddles in the carpet (as happened the previous few occasions when she wanted to wear pants). Well, she was really determined that she didn't want a nappy, so I gave in. And I must say, that we had far more in the potty than we had in the floor on that first day, and things have only improved with time! We didn't have *any* accidents yesterday, and that even included going to church in the morning (tho she was in a "side-snapping pocket nappy" which pulls up & down like pants, just in case!). I have had 1 or 2 days were we seemed to get several accidents in a row and I wondered what went wrong - but it never lasted long, thankfully. So at last, she's got her reward of big girl pants with Dora the Explorer - and I also found her some with Lola (as in, Charlie & Lola) who she really likes. I'm really pleased with her progress and the fact that she was determined to do it herself (I was feeling too tired with pregnancy to want to do potty training) but she obviously knew better what needed to be done. :)
Here's Benjamin wearing some trousers I'd just made him. He loves the helicopters on them! I thought I should do a bit of sewing and use more of my PRR (Painting Red Rhinos) fabric that I'd bought off eBay back in May. And since Benjamin is outgrowing a lot of his trousers, it was a useful way to spend time - or so I think. :) Especially since it's not always easy to find trousers that fit nicely over cloth nappies. The fabric was meant to be a darker green, but for some reason the dye didn't seem to take very well on this occasion - though the pink fabrics I did for Abigail were lovely, as were the small nappies I dyed bright orange!
Riding a lorry in the back garden.
And here's Abigail wearing a skirt that I threw together in 20 minutes or so. It's probably not very straight or neat looking, but I just cut out a wee square of fabric and sewed up a skirt for her to play in. She's also wearing her "new" winter boots that she got the same day. The weather has been so damp & cold lately that one feels it's nearly winter.
Well, I'm now nearly 16 weeks pregnant! Again, I wonder where the time goes - seems the weeks pass so quickly. I'm still feeling lots better, though perhaps slightly more picky about foods than I would be if I weren't pregnant. But it's wonderful not being sick anymore. If only the cold would go away, I think I'd feel just perfect! :)
OK, should get myself to bed. Abigail often wakes up around 6:30 to 7 (somtimes a bit earlier) since she goes to bed before 8pm. I enjoy getting up early in that I get lots more done in the day and am pleased to see what I can accomplish before lunch. But getting to bed too late at night means I'm not all that excited about getting up before 7! :)
6 comments:
I was looking at the same style of boots for Amy and just figured I should wait a bit longer...lol, maybe I should go ahead and purchase some. Definitely getting colder. seems to be hard to find boots on ebay lately that are Amy's size.
So glad to hear about Abigail's potty training success!! I'm kind of wishing I waited longer with Amelia she seems to be less interested now...but still goes whenever she can get to one...however, if she is occupied with something I may end up with wet tights, pants and puddle on the floor. :( What to do!
So sorry to hear about the colds, I'm worried they are coming to our household soon...starting off with runny noses. But the kids probably should have one soon anyways since they are rarely sick for some reason. Boy I'm rambling a book here! Better run!
Oh lol, one more thing, do you happen to have a pattern for the trousers you made your wee boy? Or did you just piece them together? I know exactly what you mean about trousers not fitting for a cloth diaper/nappy!! It is rather annoying to have to buy a huge size to fit and then be too long...*sigh*
Love,
Ev xx
Good to see the update, Rachel...but I must say the only part that interested me was the part about chocolate, cheese and cars.
And the lovely photos, of course. Abigail is growing so much.
Morning Rachel and family. Glad to hear you're feeling better with the sickness. I've been praying since your last blog post about it so glad my prayers have been answered :).
Och so pleased about Abigail with her potty training and Benjamin is really losing his baby looks. I like to get up early too (about 5.30 in the morning usually). I find as I get older I'm more a morning person than a night owl. Sleep is a better better than it was (that's why I was so psychotic past 10 days - doh!). I'm now not having any caffeine after 3 and if I wake in the night I can fall back asleep within an hour or two :).
And I can just about drink proper coffee again now the gastritis is so much better.
Och look fwd to your next update.
Every blessing and LOADSA PRAYERS.
Jo
Hi Ev! Sorry for taking so long to reply to your question about the trousers pattern! It is Butterick 6030, and was the "tracksuit" looking ones (with elastic around the legs) that I made. The pattern is so easy, especially as you only cut out 2 pieces of the same pattern...*nothing* else! So you can make them up very quickly. You can see the details here: http://tinyurl.com/sewingpattern - it's the last one on that page. Unfortunately sewing patterns here in the UK are double the cost of what they are in USA - annoying! I think I actually got my pattern of it "free for postage" from someone on an online email group (not sewing related group, just a lady who was clearing things out sometime back). I would offer to copy the pattern out for you, but unfortunately my pattern is only for L & XL (XL being what I made for Benjamin), and I'm guessing both would swallow Aaron - though I could always trace off the L and you could size it down. Just let me know if you want me to try that. :)
I certainly know what you mean about trousers over cloth nappies! One brand to always avoid (in my experience anyway!) is Mackays! They just *don't* go over cloth bottoms - they're pure awful! lol Some of the better ones I've found are ones from Mothercare, as well as older styles from George (ASDA) and Cherokee (Tesco) - but it's sort-of a hit & miss, knowing whether or not they'll fit properly. I've not had much success with Next ones, though they'd probably be OK on a slim baby. But I like my babies to be comfortable and I hate waistbands that dig into their tummy or make them look uncomfortable. :)
OK, will stop rambling on - need to get some sleep! I have an awful cold still, which seems to have posssibly turned into a sinus infection - bad pain in my head & ear area.
Will try to do a blog post again soon! :)
Oh don't bother to trace it, you've already have enough on your hands. I'll just see what I can find and maybe I'll eventually buy one...I've never made trouser's or anything for a boy yet...soo it would be a first, but seeing how you described it, it sounds easy enough. Totally understand about the "comfort" for the children. I haven't tried many clothing brands here for the kids with Amy it didn't matter much (and she was so slim a next skirt actually stayed on better with a cloth diaper(!!), but Aaron well, I find stretchy cotton works best and looks a whole lot more comfy at the moment, would like to make something for him though as I don't have much for his stage..haha, I've been lazy and just let him stay in his sleeper all day...ach well, I'm feeling a whole lot better so maybe I need to dress him lol! Will have a look at the pattern. Thanks Rach!
Ev xx
The car in the first picture was actually something my Dad gave to my Grandpa. Currently worth about £20 on eBay so I've withdrawn it from circulation as Benjamin has *loads* of cars and anyway, "campies" (camper vans) are his favourite right now.
Post a Comment