Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Snow etc

In my last post I was saying that the snow wasn't sticking and just melted. However, when we woke up on Saturday morning, we had *loads* of snow! OK - loads to me - someone from down south in USA, where flakes of snow hardly ever fall! :) Abigail woke up early that morning (around 6:30am) so I got her and myself dressed and we went outside while it was still dark (leaving Peter and Benjamin in their respective beds! lol) The snow was a bit powdery, so I didn't manage to make a snowman (never made one in my life, so maybe it's just that I don't know how to make one!). In any case, Abigail had lots of fun & was very excited to finally see proper snow! Here are a few photos of her enjoying the white stuff:

In the dark in our back garden


Back garden again, can't see the path to the back door at all!


Abigail and her Daddy went outside later in the day on Saturday and built an igloo, using ice cream tubs to make blocks from the snow. It was formed around a tree though, so didn't get finished anymore than seen in above pic.


Abigail and her igloo again


Benjamin in his pjs this morning (making a bit of a funny face)

Benjamin trying to pull off Abigail's nose, or mouth, or maybe both! lol

Hmm, not sure there's anything much else that's been happening! Peter's got a cold at the moment and not sure if Benjamin is possibly coming down with it as well. He seemed a bit sniffly today, but can't always tell if it's a cold or just from teething.

I've been reading one of D. M. Lloyd-Jones books recently, Life in the Spirit: In Marriage, Home & Work (an exposition of Ephesians 5:18 to 6:9), mainly the section on the home, which had some good points about child rearing etc. I came across a very good paragraph which I wanted to share here. He was speaking about boarding schools (which evangelical Christians were sending their children to at the time), but it's clear that the principles would apply to any form of education and what he says is very important:

"The teaching of the Scripture is that the child's welfare, the child's soul, should always be the primary consideration; and all matters of prestige - not to use any other term - and all matters of ambition should be put severely aside. Anything that militates against the child's soul, and its knowledge of God and the Lord Jesus Christ, should be rejected. The first consideration invariably should be the soul and its relationship to God. However good the education offered by a boarding school may be, if it militates against the welfare of the soul it must be put on one side. To promote that welfare is the essential element in 'the nurture and admonition of the Lord', and it forms the primary task and duty of the parents."


Well, must get myself to bed now! Goodnight. :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see you and your family again! The children are adorable...I have thought of you often!

Love you!

The Mom said...

Interesting quote.

Glad you enjoyed the snow, the igloo looks great fun!

Love
H

Daisy said...

Awwww, my adorable darlings. :)

Amber Sebold said...

Wow, you got a lot more snow than us! Aaron really wants to see some good snow, hope we get some at some point. :) And I read your previous posts too, wow, I can't believe you have 7 strollers! My goodness, I thought my 4 was a lot (1 double, 2 singles and a pram).