Thursday, 24 January 2008

Yay!! I have my computer back!

Anyone missed me? ;-) Probably no one even realised I wasn't here! In any case, my laptop crashed and I was without my computer for over a week & a half. We bought a new hard drive but couldn't use the recovery disk to reinstall Windows XP because the Toshiba disk was a DVD and my laptop's DVD drive has been broken for years! We tried *endless* things to bring my computer back to life but nothing worked. Finally yesterday we got a XP cd from a friend and succeeded in installing it and got the license key registered etc and I'm back online!

I've been trying to post this blog for hours this evening, but Benjamin makes it nearly impossible! He's computer crazy and wants to pound all the keys, or if not allowed to do that, he gets hyper and crawls all over the bed and tries to scare me by nearly diving off head first!! I haven't yet (thankfully!) found out if he'll just crash off the bed, but he crawls with such speed to the far side of the bed and is giggling so much that you never know what he'll do. I think he gets rather bored in the evenings with Abigail going to bed early.

Here are a few photos that I took last Saturday. We went for a walk up the hill that's above our house, though we took a long way round so it wasn't so steep going up. I'm hoping to try and get some more exercise now that I've got (2!) 3 wheeled off-road buggies. No, not that I need 2 of them to go for a walk (as one is a double). I had been thinking of getting an old 3 wheel all terrain pushchair for muddy walks and I found someone giving a single one away for free. So I arranged to have a courier pick it up from the lady. And then I was searching on Google to see if anyone was looking for a double (tandem) pushchair, so I could sell my old Graco Stadium Duo. And while searching I happened to find an ad, posted only hours previously, on a local London meetup board where someone was giving away a Kidz Kargo tandem 3 wheel pushchair - *just* what I was looking for! I emailed the lady and she was happy to pack it up, so I arranged it to be picked up by a courier. So, two days or so later, I have DHL arrive at my house with *2* 3 wheel pushchairs! Not every day you find 2 free three-wheel buggies in the same week! :) So, for one day, I had a total of 8 pushchairs in my small house (3 tandems and 5 singles)! I managed to sell my Graco one and had it picked up by Parcel Force the next day, so now I'm down to a managable 7 pushchairs. I presume there isn't anyone else reading this blog who "collects" pushchairs?! ;-) I try to rationalize it by saying that most women "collect" shoes or handbags, but I do neither (don't even carry a handbag/purse!), so I like to have a selection of pushchairs! They are all different, so you need different ones for different outings! :) OK, enough about my pushchair hobby. Here are some photos & then I must get to bed!

Abigail & Benjamin


Peter with the children



Me and my lovely children :) (Benjamin smiling & Abigail looking the other way)


Going up the hill and looking out towards The Black Isle


Up the hill with a view of our town
Smiling Benjamin in the window


Abigail & Bejamin playing with Daddy's tape measure (I think she was trying to measure him, but looks like he has one end of it now)

A bleary eyed Benjamin, on his computer as soon as he woke up in the morning! lol It's his favourite toy at the moment, though he prefers to use a real one!


Abigail pushing Benjamin - trying out a new pushchair (No, not one of the off-road ones! This is a tiny, lightweight one for fitting in our tiny car. A neat design, found on eBay from a Austrian company - now I just want to buy a second one, so we have one for each of them to ride in, though with the handles all the way down, it's perfect height for Abigail to push!)


Last, but certainly not least, here is our lovely little girl with a great big smile!

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow! That's a lot of pushchairs/strollers! I've been looking for a double jogging stroller for a while now, but it's hard to find an inexpensive used one.

The scenery around your town is beautiful! I wish I could visit!

The Mom said...

LOL to the collecting pushchairs! I guess if you live in the country and drive you need a few - one for streets, a different one for off-road, and yet another light one for popping in the car.

We only used two kinds - single McLaren strollers, whenever one wore out (or on a couple of occasions, got stolen) we'd buy another exactly the same; and we had a tandem "Waki Rider" double, which we used until our oldest child, Alexander was old enough to push one pushchair while I pushed another.

I preferred using two singles to the double if I could, since it meant I could use public transport.

Good to see you got your laptop working again.
Love
Henrietta

Evelyn said...

yes you were missed dear Rach! I'm addicted to blogs I think, and I've definitely noticed no posts in a looong while from you!

Hmm, got any chairs to give away or sell lol? You might not have any of those small, basic, cheap fold up ones anymore. I've got a double Graco one which I like, but I really wish I didn't get rid of my small single it would have been easier to handle going for walks and also I wouldnt look so silly either...someone said to me "ooh you're going to have 3 under 5 then?" eek!

Hope your keeping all right!
Love,
Ev xx

Anonymous said...

I missed you. Did you get me first comment. Glad everything is working and in order.

I always like your pics of the children. Keep 'em coming. Benjamin seems very bright and inquisitive.

I don't comment much on here but I dooh so like reading your blog.

Every blessing.

Jo

lcrmum said...

Glad you have your computer back. I think it is a mom thing to have so many pushchairs! We sold 4 of them before coming here! Now we only have our one as T is the only one who uses it. But it does get used ALL THE TIME! :) The kids are so cute.

Enjoy reading your blog it is a good way of keeping up with people. I hope to be posting more on mine now that I am feeling better. :)

Rachel said...

Thanks for all the comments! It's nice to know I've not been forgotten. :) ....arggg, I've just typed up nearly a full page of replies to the various comments & blogger came up with an error page and all is lost. So here I go again (this time typing it elsewhere first).

Sharon: have you tried looking on eBay for a double jogger stroller that is listed as "collection only" and is located nearby? Sometimes it's possible to get real bargains by finding things that are nearby and the person is unwilling to ship it. You can really go on some rough places with an off-road stroller (3 wheel w/ non-swivel front wheel). I was surprised last week the walk we were able to take - I'd have never imagined taking anything with wheels along the path!

Henrietta: wow, so even with 12 children you managed to keep away from any kind of pushchair addiction! lol :) I actually have read about a lady who only had 2 children and said she had tried over 300 pushchairs! (Yes, I realise she must have had a serious problem!) I've never actually had a McLaren but I know everyone talks about how good they are - sturdy and last for ages. I'm sure using two small singles is probably a lot easier than a double (when you have a child old enough to push one!). Since we live near the centre of town, I like to be able to go out on my own on foot (go to clinics, library, shops etc), so it's important to have a decent tandem pushchair with a sizable basket. I hardly ever use public transport, so size of the buggy isn't such a factor, though it's nice to be able to get into small shops without getting stuck! I got this American tandem stroller (with lots of features) when we were over in Texas in October and I really enjoy using it around town: http://tinyurl.com/2t4er7 Amazingly, although it's quite large when open, it actually fits into the boot of our tiny car!

Ev: still no baby yet? I'm sure you can't wait for this little bundle to arrive! I don't think I ever got "anxious" for either of my babies to come, as Abigail was born on her due date and Benjamin was a few days early. I always enjoyed being pregnant too, so guess that probably helped! ;-) Is it an umbrella stroller you were thinking of, or something bigger? I have a basic umbrella folding Chicco one, has a hood (tho it's a bit mis-shapen). I've actually just tonight bought a 2nd(!!) one of these tiny, compact, lightweight pushchairs off eBay {blush}, so once it arrives with me, I might be thinking to get rid of the Chicco one ... (unless I shove it up into the attic in case it's needed at any time in the future, since it reclines slightly & is therefore suitable for babies from 3 months). Anyway, I guess once your baby arrives you'll be wanting to use your double all the time. But if you're still looking for something umbrella style, let me know. :)

Jo: hello! Didn't know you were reading this too! Guess I have no idea who all is following my blog! Nice to hear from you. :) not sure if I ever got any other comments from you or not. I've recently changed my comments to moderated, because I was getting some spamy comments. So it's possible if you left a comment earlier on, I might have missed it. Sorry!

Patti: nice to hear from you. Glad you're feeling better now. Look forward to reading more posts from you! And i always enjoy seeing photos too! :)

lcrmum said...

Hey I will vouch for the McLaren strollers! We had one and it was brilliant! It worked great till my dad acidently ran over it with his car :(. When I get a smaller one ( I have a Inglesina at the moment which is great for smaller children but once T gets a little older I will have to get a better one for him) I will probably do another McLaren as they are so handy and do have good size baskets. :)

The Mom said...

We only used the umbrella fold McLarens - the others were too heavy to take on a bus.

If you try freecycle it is amazing what you can get for free . .they didn't have that when I was young.

Evelyn said...

Yes freecycle has been well used here although when I did try to get a umbrella stroller it seemed as if no one wanted to give up any! Anyways, I doubt that I'll be able to fit a huge double stroller in the vestry that is partly why I'm thinking of getting a single umbrella. No, no baby yet, I'm *trying* to wait patiently. But it is difficult when all these brax's come to nothing...and you think hmm, maybe this will be the time...ugh, ach well, waiting I am. :) I can't believe Benjamin will be a year soon!

Love,
Ev
xx